Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 102 KB, 460x345, neurons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1802773 No.1802773 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]
Quoted by: >>1802794

Human beings. All of our characteristics were gained through the causality of evolution. Aggression, dominance, Ego, symbolic interactionism and group mindset all were purely survival attributes. So my question for /sci is: Do you have hope in humanity. Can we survive the hump of this generation. Can our great minds set aside our differences and act for the greater good?

tl;dr Hope in humanity?

>> No.1802788
Quoted by: >>1802806

human progress can only come from conflict

>> No.1802794

>>OP

Yes.

>> No.1802797

prime example of these attributes are the homophobic attacks of engineers

>> No.1802806
Quoted by: >>1802870

>>1802788

Social Darwinist-fag detected. Did you know that Charles Darwin thought that a social structure based on biological evolution was bad? Can you explain why exactly progress can only be caused by conflict?

>> No.1802869
Quoted by: >>1802899

Not he who posted, but look at it this way. You only strive to do things when you are relatively lower. You only wish you were richer because people are richer then you. You only wish to be smarter because people are smarter then you. The internet, the computer, independence, recognition, and the end of the great depression was only found through war

>> No.1802870
Quoted by: >>1804875

>>1802806
because its an incentive humans thrive at

>> No.1802899
Quoted by: >>1802944

>>1802869
Subject A wants to do action Y because subject B has already done action Z which A is jealous of because Z > X, X being what A has done before.

This requires an infinite regress to explain B or A having ever done anything better than their opposite when what B and A had done was either equivalent or nothing (still equivalent).

Ergo, both A and B can advance regardless of their opposite's actions' "value" compared to their own.

>> No.1802904
Quoted by: >>1802952

Nope. Overpopulation will fuck us over. We will destroy ourselves within the next century. Hate to bear the news.

>> No.1802944
Quoted by: >>1802956

>>1802899 Implying that values are definitive and absolute. Both subjects could think that what the other is doing is better. Flawed logic.

>> No.1802952

>>1802904
Dont worry with an economy and healthcare population can be curved systematically. Hope your seen as valuable.

>> No.1802956
File: 11 KB, 265x297, blight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1802956

>>1802944
aw man

>> No.1804875
Quoted by: >>1805405

>>1802870

You haven't answered my question. I asked why progress can only be made through conflict, and you told me it was because it's an incentive humans thrive at. If my question had been "why do humans currently progress through conflict", then yes, that would've been correct. But you didn't provide any actual reason for why that is the only way. Right now, evolution does the bear minimum to survive. There is no intelligent guidance for this natural selection based "progress" that you claim is the only and therefore best possible route for human progress, despite the fact that most humans have introspective self awareness, and are therefore "intelligent".

>> No.1805405

>>1804875
I have some food for thought for you. People do things within the realm of their reality. Video game characters only exist in the game and cant escape. (bad example) You can only move in the system you are in. In this reality you cant win votes without being in a party. You cant sell products without being in a company. We are divided in nations, genres, races . Everything has a symbol and all progress is seen in relation to others. It is how humans view the world. Thus progress is through conflict.

>> No.1805411
File: 113 KB, 439x331, 1285352256395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1805411
Quoted by: >>1805443

we can destroy fox news.
http://www.amigospais-guaracabuya.org/oagmc204.php

>> No.1805419

No, because USA, you know why. I'm not even trolling

inbr shitstorm

>> No.1805443

>>1805411

>>we can destroy fox news

As I recall it came close to destroying you.

>> No.1806486 [DELETED] 

>>1805405

You still haven't answered my question. You're saying that conflict is the only way to progress and have only provided an explanation fpr why it 'is' this way. What I'm asking is 'why does it have to be this way'? Because that's how humans view the world? Humans as a collective aren't as static as you seem to think they are.

>> No.1806523
File: 41 KB, 385x385, neo-bullets-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1806523

>>1805405
>I have some food for thought for you. People do things within the realm of their reality. Video game characters only exist in the game and cant escape. (bad example) You can only move in the system you are in. In this reality you cant win votes without being in a party. You cant sell products without being in a company. We are divided in nations, genres, races . Everything has a symbol and all progress is seen in relation to others. It is how humans view the world. Thus progress is through conflict.

Not that hard to get around the rules of the game. All you have to do is realize that they are completely psychological, they only exist within the human mind. There is no spoon.

>> No.1806537

everything is unitary,
one does not exist,

/thread

>> No.1806562
Quoted by: >>1806675

>>1805405

You still haven't answered my question. You're saying that conflict is the only way to progress and have only provided an explanation for why it 'is' this way. What I'm asking is 'why does it have to be this way'? Because that's how humans view the world? Humans as a collective aren't as static as you seem to think they are, and even less so on an individual level. The current way is simply not the intelligent way, and I'm not sure how you can seriously back up statements like "humans won't change". I'd like you to attack the following statement, because I can see this is going no where fast.

"Progress based on self esteem issues is out dated and produces only the bear minimum from people, whereas progress for the sake of progress and amusement will create both similar results and increased fulfillment."

To anticipate your statement, you're going to say that a statement like that, while nice in text, is impossible to create in our current world, because humans have too many issues to really focus on that. This verifies that conflict based progress is just a bear minimum producer, where people are only compelled to advance when they feel threatened. Every other time they're too distracted by other issues. I'm not going to deny that conflict based progress might be the major factor in everyday life for the average person, but I most certainly deny that is is the best possible choice by virtue of being the only choice.

A practical example to attack the inferiority of conflict based progress are the scientists that have existed throughout history. In order to prove that conflict based progress is the only legitimate form of progress, you're going to have to go through all of their biographies, and determine that yes, none of these people cared about science. All they cared about was being told they were good enough.

>> No.1806675

>>1806562
>This verifies that conflict based progress is just a bear minimum producer, where people are only compelled to advance when they feel threatened.
>just a bear minimum producer
>bear minimum
>bear

Great argument though.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action