Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 42 KB, 516x387, 101019171709-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1929532 No.1929532 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

GENTLEMEN!
WE GO.
TO SPACE!

"NASA and DARPA have joined forces to build something called a Hundred-Year Starship, according to the director of NASA’s Ames Research Center. Simon “Pete” Worden said NASA contributed $100,000 to the project and DARPA kicked in $1 million."

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-10/%E2%80%98hundred-year-starship%E2%80%99-could-bring-hu
mans-other-worlds-and-leave-them-there-forever

>> No.1929554

I am so going there.

>> No.1929560
File: 21 KB, 720x200, black.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1929560

FUCK YEAAHHHHHH

>> No.1929564
Quoted by: >>1929572 >>1929946

>Send starship on hundred-year voyage to Alpha Centauri
>in 2074 the Interstellar Vehicle Carl Sagan accelerates to 92% of the speed of light and outruns them
>Alpha Centauri colonized by relativistic ships before generational ship arrives

>> No.1929568

>“(Google cofounder) Larry Page asked me a couple weeks ago how much it would cost to send people one way to Mars and I told him $10 billion, and his response was, ‘Can you get it down to 1 or 2 billion?’ So now we’re starting to get a little argument over the price,” Worden said.

WHOA WHOA WHOA

GOOGLE AEROSPACE?

I FUCKING CALLED IT

>> No.1929572

>>1929564
That would be the ultimate dick move.

>> No.1929590
Quoted by: >>1929596

I'm going to do whatever it takes to get a seat on that thing.

>> No.1929596
Quoted by: >>1929603 >>1929629

>>1929590

Would you suck a dick for each dollar the project ends up costing?

>> No.1929603

>>1929596
I don't think there are even that many dicks in the world, but I'd suck every dick twice if that's all it took.

>> No.1929608
File: 6 KB, 224x214, 1282227871571.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1929608
Quoted by: >>1929620

Oh gee Google is spacing now.

Google Aerospace here I come >;3~~½

>> No.1929620
Quoted by: >>1929638

>>1929608
The chances of you getting selected to be one of those who actually get sent out is practically zero. (And knowing something about you, the thing you're looking for is not out there.)

>> No.1929622
Quoted by: >>1929628

HOLY FUCK! WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THEY WILL CHOOSE ME? I HAVE AN IQ OF 136
PLEASEEE I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE

>> No.1929628
Quoted by: >>1929635

>>1929622

Do you have any skills that would be useful for a colonization mission?

>> No.1929629

>>1929596
I would suck 10 trillions of dicks

>> No.1929635

>>1929628
I can suck dicks. Also I can be a cute trap.

>> No.1929638

>>1929620

>The chances of you getting selected to be one of those who actually get sent out is practically zero

For the actual interstellar mission? Of course, it's obviously zero. But I'd love to work for Google Aerospace.

>(And knowing something about you, the thing you're looking for is not out there.)

I'd rather see interstellar space than lolgenetically-engineeredsuper-furrieslolololol. Even if furries were created and I found my perfect furry waifu I would still leave her behind in a heartbeat to go to space. No discussion. No second thoughts.

It's spacel, for fuck's sake. When you're offered to go to the Up-and-out, you don't think about your friends, family, loved ones, stuff like that. You go.

>> No.1929642

Now I realized I have no skill to be chose for colonization.

>> No.1929646

I'm an engineer so you wouldn't have to worry about me knocking up any females on board. I aslo have skills to bring to this mission.

>> No.1929654

They're going to need philosophy majors. Looks like I'm in.

>> No.1929664
File: 24 KB, 380x334, hovind.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1929664
Quoted by: >>1929677

If they are building a generational ship then they will need a ship's theologician.

Ron Hovind to the rescue!

>> No.1929677
File: 64 KB, 600x500, 1280055418912.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1929677

>>1929664

>> No.1929699
Quoted by: >>1929708 >>1929725

I don't get whats with the whole OMG LETS COLONIZE MARS AND THE MOON BECAUSE WE R CHILL BROS, impractical and serves no purpose, before you say, research can be done without colonizing the fucking thing.

>> No.1929708

>>1929699
The human race cannot survive without leaving Earth.

>> No.1929713
Quoted by: >>1929947

>>1929708
How are you going to survive on a barren rock without resources for more than x years before running out?

>> No.1929722

>>1929708
No point in branching out just to the Moon or Mars. We need to get out of the Sol System.

I think we'll start small, but really kick things into gear when we master FTL travel.

>> No.1929725

>>1929699

Its largely about the challenge. Its more of a hope kind of thing, gives us purpose, a reason to really push our abilities to the limit. Its about creating our own purpose.

Cause if we were to do things based on your argument. We should all just kill ourselves now because its all without purpose.

>> No.1929742
Quoted by: >>1929750

>>1929708
of course it could, just not all of them

what do we need 7 billion people for again?

>> No.1929750

>>1929742
Mass extinction would wipe nearly everyone out eventually.

>> No.1929805
Quoted by: >>1929813

wtf?
So we'd just send astronauts there and leave them there until they die?

>> No.1929813

>>1929805
Yes.

I would volunteer to do this in a heartbeat.

>> No.1929819

So will any terraforming take place or are they planing on doing this just for shits and giggles?

>> No.1929843

It will suck when they build a better spaceship in those 100 years.

>$1,100,000

>> No.1929851

FUCK YOU GUYS I'm leaving and going to ...

explore the cosmos

>> No.1929852
Quoted by: >>1929855

enjoy having to wait 40mins for a page to load..

>> No.1929855
File: 47 KB, 504x569, 20091221.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1929855

>>1929852

>> No.1929866
Quoted by: >>1929936

I also now realize that I have no skills to be chosen to board the craft and to colonize a distant planet or moon

FUCK

>> No.1929936

>>1929866
Well you've still got time to get the right skills.

>> No.1929946

>>1929564
>trollface.jpg on dat relativistic ship.

>> No.1929947
Quoted by: >>1930105

>>1929713

>without resources

No

>> No.1930105

>>1929947
I think that guy was referring to food and water resources.

>> No.1930120

So if it's a 100 year mission, the people leaving now wouldn't even get to see Mars, right? Wouldn't it be their children? How insane would it be to be born on a spacecraft hurtling to Mars, having never seen Earth? There would need to be a propaganda-heavy educational curriculum for those kids, because there would be no reason for them to have any attachment to our planet.

Earth and Earthlings would be like myths to them, with occasional supply drops seeming like boons from God. Fuck, I need to go over to /tg/ and round out this campaign setting.

>> No.1930137 [DELETED] 

The good news is this eventually culminates in the first interstellar expedition. Using a nuclear driven ferry (supplied by Virgin Bigelow) to visit Alpha Centauri.

The bad news is, it's 2107 and it hasn't left yet. The project only really began in earnest back before I graduated.

Also, the heim drive is a dead end. Sort of. You can propel matter faster than local C, but when it returns to local space it does so as an incredible potent release of heat, light and radiation. The promise is that one day there'll be some means of harnessing this principle to generate power.

>> No.1930143

>>1930120

>So if it's a 100 year mission, the people leaving now wouldn't even get to see Mars, right?

wat

Do you have no concept of basic astronomy?

>> No.1930144
Quoted by: >>1930173

>>1930120
They'll get to Mars! It's barely a year away. The ship itself will be capable of lasting 100 years, however.

>> No.1930167

>>1930120
dat reimagined Battlestar Galactica

>> No.1930173
Quoted by: >>1930192

>>1930144

It wouldn't even take that long.

You could do it in 6 months if you travelled at 100Km/h at the longest point.

If you travelled when Earth and Mars were near, you could do it in a month at 100Km/h.

>> No.1930192
Quoted by: >>1930212

>>1930173
>Earth to Mars
>100 kph
>6 months
try 62.8 years you stupid fuck

>> No.1930206
Quoted by: >>1930213 >>1930247

>huge effort
>many countries pull together
>tremendous human solidarity
>ship finished
>everything's green
>multinational crew
>huge public send-off
>"blast off in 5.."
>huge explosion
>Islamic terrorists detonated a bomb to keep the Great Satan from returning to heaven
>Mother fucker.

>> No.1930212
Quoted by: >>1930238

>>1930192

>shortest point
>55 million km

55*10^6km/100kmh^-1 = 55*10^4h
55*10^4h = 22,916 days = 62.8 years

Ok, you're right.

Not entirely sure where I got 6 months from.

>> No.1930213

>>1930206
lol Contact

>> No.1930228

> 1.1 million
more like In-A-Hundred-Years-Maybe-We-Can-Make-A-Side-Door Starship.

>> No.1930238

>>1930212
OK. I take back my harsh language too. Sorry.

>> No.1930247
Quoted by: >>1930257 >>1930287

>>1930206

laughinggirls.jpg

He thinks they will build a massive ship at the bottom of an enormous gravity well.

>> No.1930257
Quoted by: >>1930267

>>1930247
lol this.
Better to launch shit into space and construct it there. Otherwise you waste a fuckton of some source of fuel just to heave that motherfucker off the face of the planet

>> No.1930267
Quoted by: >>1930386

>>1930257

Space elevator for maximum efficiency.

>> No.1930287
File: 817 KB, 1280x544, star_trek_2009-enterprise_construction1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1930287
Quoted by: >>1930386

>>1930247


>implying you're not a fucking pussy ass faggot

>> No.1930386

>>1930267
Well, that ideally but we'd have to start that megaproject in order to do the space vessel mega project D:

>>1930287
That scene fails so hard. GTFO.

>> No.1930675
Quoted by: >>1931564

We will not colonize Mars. Ever. And that's because of Mars's weak magnetosphere and cosmic rays.

It's miracle if we we even get there.

>> No.1931564

>>1930675
We might put a few colonies underground to exploit the water there. But we probably won't ever build cities on it or anything like that unless we find something massive to exploit.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action